Poole Partnership - Health



The National Health Service (NHS) is the publicly-funded healthcare system for the United Kindom.

Most National Health Service treatment is free but there can be charges for some things such as medicines. You may be able to get help with NHS health costs if for example you're on income support or under 16. Click here to see if you are eligible for help towards NHS health costs. HC1 Form

Primary Care

When arriving in the area, you will need to register with a GP (General Practitioner).  You will be able to do this at your local Doctors Surgery/Heath Centre.

Registering with a GP and Dentist

Find a GP in your area

If the treatment your GP gives you does not make you better or special tests are needed, your GP can send you to hospital. You cannot decide to go to hospital by yourself, only your GP can send you. Interpreting services are generally available in hospitals.

You can search on-line for hospitals in your area by going to the NHS website.


If you have an accident or a sudden serious illness dial 999 and ask for an ambulance. They will take you to your nearest hospital Accident and Emergency Department. This is free and available for everybody. If you are in urgent need you will be seen immediately. For more minor accidents which still need hospital treatment, you can make your own way there, if it is safe to do so.

NHS Direct

You can also call NHS Direct  for health advice and reassurance, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

NHS Choices

NHS Choices is the online 'front door' to the NHS. It is the country's biggest health website and gives all the information you need to make choices about your health.

For more information on emergency treatment please visit the NHS website

If you can't find the information you are looking for here, please contact Bournemouth & Poole NHS, Bournemouth or Poole Citizens Advice Bureau. You may also find information on the Source Directory website.